About the Museum
1919, the Missouri General Assembly designated the first floor of the
east wing of the Capitol as the Missouri Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
Hall and placed it under the care of the Adjutant General's office. Two
years later, in 1921, the Missouri Resources Museum was created on the
first floor of the Capitol's west wing under the Resources Museum
Commission, which was charged with the responsibility to collect and
place on permanent exhibit examples of the products, flora and fauna of
Missouri. The two museums were combined in 1923, and designated
collectively as the Missouri State Museum under the management of the
Resources Museum Commission.
Since 1923, the museum has been
under the administration of a variety of state agencies. The Missouri
Department of Natural Resources took over the museum in 1978. The museum
contains long-term exhibits and regularly changing temporary exhibits.
There is also a program that develops a series of traveling exhibits
that can be used as educational tools by schools, civic and other
The Missouri State Museum is responsible for a large
collection of artifacts that consists of approximately 93,000 artifacts
and objects from all aspects of Missouri history, natural history, and
resources history that have been collected since the museum's inception.
One of the highlights of the collection is the collection of over 125
Missouri Civil War battle flags. Thirty-three of the flags have been
conserved and 11 have been framed.